With gas prices climbing this summer, we wanted to share with you some great tips on saving your fuel!
- Avoid High Speeds – When your speed increases, your aerodynamic drag decreases. Therefore driving at 62 mpg vs. 75 mph can reduce fuel consumption up to 15%.
- Do Not Accelerate or Brake Hard – If you anticipate the traffic and apply a slow steady brake or acceleration, fuel economy can increase by as much as 20%!
- Keep Tires Inflated Properly – Keep your tires inflated at the recommended level by Nissan, or other vehicle manufacturer. If a tire is under inflated by 2 PSI it can increase fuel consumption by 1%.
- Use the A/C Sparingly – When you turn on the A/C it puts extra work on the engine forcing your car to use about 20% more fuel than normal.
- Keep Windows Closed – When you’re driving on the highway with your windows open, it increases the drag on the vehicle and increases your fuel consumption.
- Service Vehicle Regularly – Keeping your Nissan with proper maintenance helps avoid poor fuel economy by replacing old air filters, spark plugs or low fluid levels.
- Use Cruise Control – If you maintain a constant speed over longer distances, it will help save on fuel.
- Avoid Heavy Loads – The sand bags you put in your trunk or truck bed for winter should be removed for spring and summer. Try to pack lightly for long road trips; I know, easier said than done.
- Avoid Long Idles – If you think you are going to be stopped longer than a minute, like in line at a fast food restaurant, turn of the car. Restarting the car actually uses less fuel than letting it idle for an extended time.
- Purchase a Fuel Efficient Vehicle – When purchasing a new vehicle make sure that the vehicle’s rated fuel efficiency is what you are looking for. Usually a small vehicle with manual transmission will provide you with great fuel economy!
There are some helpful tips and tricks on how to pay less at the pump!