In a society where most drivers have some sort of roadside assistance membership, many people no longer know how to change a flat tire. However, in case of an emergency, here are some tire changing steps to remember.
- Pull Over – find a safe flat area (if you are on the expressway, take the nearest exit), enable your parking brake, and turn on your hazard lights. For added safety, put a rock or other heavy object ahead of a front and rear tire.
- Get your materials – Retrieve the spare tire, wrench, and car jack.
- Use the wrench to loosen the lug nuts by turning counter-clockwise (to the left).
- Place the carjack under a metal portion of the car and lift the vehicle off of the ground.
- Remove the lug nuts manually and remove the damaged tire.
- Put the spare tire on the car – line up the lug nut posts and lightly screw on the lug nuts manually.
- Lower the car back to the pavement with the car jack.
- Using the wrench, tighten the lug nuts by turning to the right.
- Remove the car jack and place spare tire, car jack, and wrench back in the car.
- Visit a service station so a professional can examine/repair the damaged tire.
If you have further questions about how to change a tire or any other service inquiries, don’t hesitate to contact our trusted and capable service department at Lewis Nissan, where we are happy to help!