One of winter’s most hazardous road conditions is also the most difficult to see, making it particularly sinister: black ice, or the thin layer of ice that forms at the beginning of snowfall or freezing rain.
Here are some black ice safety tips to remember:
- Remember that black ice forms before snow even begins to pile up, so as soon as you notice that it has begun to rain or snow, slow down.
- Increase the distance between your vehicle and the other vehicles around you. You’ll be glad you did if someone slams on their brakes.
- Never make a sharp turn or a sudden stop, which will likely cause you to lose control.
- If you do find yourself sliding, steer towards the direction that you are sliding in, and don’t hit the brake. This is the best way to get control of your car.
- Lastly, do some extra preparation before leaving the house and research the forecast. If it says freezing rain is on the way, you may want to skip your trip!
For more helpful winter driving tips, visit us anytime at Lewis Nissan.